Thursday, June 20, 2013

Family Camping

Yes, more camping.  We wanted to get it in before it was super hot. This time we went as a family which makes it Elias's first camping trip.  We went to Fall Creek Falls State Park.
This was what it looked like in the car on the 2hr drive there.  Downpour. I really had my doubts and couldn't believe we were still going.  However, the rain stopped and the rest of the day was overcast which made it GREAT camping weather. I must say, since we've been 2 for 2 with rain, I'm kinda liking the effects of it.
 This is Elias so happy once I finally gave him the cookie.  He was saying "cookay". 
 Hot dog dinner.  The easiest. Elias helped cook his own. He kept pulling the stick straight up and throwing it back down into the fire, laughing. Part of it ended up breaking off. 
 There was a nice guy across the way that offered his diesel fuel and  some firewood from his land.  He told J to go get some from his huge stack whenever he needed. J still felt a little funny taking 2 pieces in the morning while everyone at their campsite was sleeping.
 I thought our campsite was pretty nice. The kids could go to the playground while we watched from our site. We also backed up to some trees so no one was on that side of us.
 Let me just say Olivia LOVES these swings. I spent a lot of time pushing her and Isaac, and Elias just a little bit. 
After we put the kids to bed, we enjoyed time around the fire. We saw a skunk pass right by in front of us within a few feet of our tent (J says 10, I say 2...who do you believe???).  We never got sprayed but followed it with our flashlight for a while. While walking across the field to the bathrooms by myself, I came across deer in the field...also within feet (ish)! Yes, I was a bit scared! My flashlight made it freeze long enough for J to come see it.
 Everyone going BACK to sleep after a bathroom break in the dark-thirty morning just before all the birds began to sing. Fun times!
 Breakfast. Luci did pretty well. Only barked a few times at the neighbors and other noises. 
 The falls.  That speck is a person down there. We hiked to the bottom with Elias on our hip and dog on leash. We made quite the family memories. Olivia was so cautious on the rocks, Isaac was fast as a bullet leading the fam, and Elias filled his drawers.
 At the bottom on some rocks.
 It was really really cold water so we didn't get in too far.
 They enjoyed walking in the water.
 I attempted to stay on the rocks with Luci.
 That didn't last long. She wanted in SO bad. We eventually let her off her leash for a bit after a few of the people left.
Hiking down, getting closer to the bottom.
 Also on the hike down. Justin and I took turns: One had the bag and dog, the other had Elias and Olivia's hand when needed.
 Family pic getting ready for the long trek UP.

 They got a little worn out. Luci and Isaac also slept in the back the whole way home.
Good times, fun times.

No comments: